Let's go with the second entry of my blog. We are still in February but the supermarkets of my city have started selling strawberries already. I know, it's not ideal if they are not in season but I couldn't resist!
The mild tartness of the strawberries contrasts fabulously with the sweetness of the cream.
I took the recipe from Martha Stewart's website but I modified it slightly.
Fresh Strawberry and Cream Cake
(23 cm cake pan)
- 120g butter (room Tº) + some more for the pan
- 180g flour (sifted)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 200g sugar
- 2 large eggs + 2 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120mL whole milk
- 450g fresh strawberries
- 350mL heavy cream (a minimum of 24h in the fridge)
- Baking paper
- Pre-heat the oven at 175ºC (350ºF).
- Prepare the cake pan by spreading some butter inside, on the base and laterals. Cut a piece of baking paper to fit in the cake pan. (If your mold is made of silicon, this step will not be necessary).
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk up the butter and 100g of sugar until a white batter is formed. Add the eggs, yolks and vanilla extract one by one, while continuing whisking the batter.
- Add the flour mix in three steps, combining it with the milk. Whisk up until well blended.
- Pour batter in the cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. To check if the cake is done, insert a toothpick in the center; if it comes out clean, it's done.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes when it's out of the oven. Afterwards, invert the pan on a wire rack and with a serrated knife, cut the cake horizontally into two halves. Set the base of the cake on the plate in which the cake will be served.
Directions for the filling
- Clean and slice the strawberries thinly. Add 50g of sugar and let them sit while preparing the cake.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream and 50 of sugar until the cream forms soft peaks. You can put the receptacle in which you are going to whip the cream in the freezer for a couple of minutes before using it. Be careful not to over-whip the cream or it will be unusable.
- Pour half of the strawberries on the bottom layer of the cake and top with half of the whipped cream. Put the top layer cake on top of it carefully and top said layer with the rest of the whipped cream. If you are going to serve the cake immediately, top it with the strawberry slices. If not, keep the strawberries and the cake in the fridge separately until serving time.
You can download the pdf of this recipe
I hope you enjoy it!