Today's recipe is also one of my favorites. It takes a little bit of time to do but is definitely worth it.
I made those to celebrate the birthday of one of my closest friends who, get ready for this, doesn't like chocolate.
Awful. I know.
She does not like chocolate but she likes Oreo cookies and she loves my Oreo cupcakes. Maybe you have seen this recipe in other blogs and their ingredients include two tablespoons of pure cocoa. I skip this step for my friend's benefit, and although the cupcakes are dark, it's because of the pulverized cookies in the batter.
The frosting is not the usual either. Truth is that I cringe a little bit when I see recipes that require 400g of confectioner's sugar only for the frosting or buttercream. I know, they are delicious but, with so many sugar? Is that good? So I have created a new frosting for these cupcakes and, although my friends kind of missed the old one, they did say that it tasted as if it was the cream inside the Oreo cookies.
(yields 12 normal-sized cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes)
- 100g butter (room temperature)
- 100g sugar
- 100g Oreo cookies
- 120g flour
- 1 large egg + 1 white
- 50mL milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g Oreo cookies
- 50g sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 200mL cream (cold)
- Pre-heat the oven at 175ºC (350ºF).
- Separate the cream from the Oreos (the white part from the black one) and set aside. Triturate the cookies.
- Sieve the flour with the baking powder and add the crushed cookies.
- In a bowl, beat the butter until creamy and add the sugar. Keep on whisking up until well incorporated. Add the egg and the white and beat.
- Put together the milk and the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mix into the butter mix in two times, alternating with the milk mix.
- Pour the dough into the cupcake capsules until reaching ¾ of their capacity.
- Bake for 20 minutes (approximately 10 minutes for mini-cupcakes) and test them with a toothpick.
- Let them sit for 10 minutes before transferring them into a wire rack.
- Separate the cream from the Oreos and triturate the cookies.
- Mix the cream of the cookies (also the one we set aside during the cupcake preparation) with the sugar and the vanilla extract until well incorporated.
- Add the cream and whip up until reaching the point that the bowl can be turned upside down without the cream falling.
- With a pastry bag, decorate the cupcakes with the cream and sprinkle with the crushed oreos.
I hope you like them.
of the recipe.