Today's recipe belongs to my "Summer Pies" series again. But today, and for the first time in my blog, I made the pie crust!
The recipe for the pie crust is from
blog, and she has a great tutorial with photographs and tips that will help you make the best pie crust ever.
Every time I intended to do my own pie crust, it turned out badly. I tended to over-roll it, I guess, because the texture I achieved had nothing to do with this one.
And the results are great. I used this recipe twice in a week and, on the second time, I added a handful of raspberries and it tasted great as well.
Pie crust ingredients
for a 23 cm pie pan
- 300g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 60mL olive oil
- 120g butter (cold)
- 80ml water (very cold)
- 1 egg (for the egg wash)
- 2 Tbs water (for the egg wash)
Pie crust directions
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Add olive oil slowly while stirring (manually).
- Slice the cold butter, add it to the mix and blend. Bear in mind that there need to be small portions of butter in the dough.
- Add water little by little, stirring until the dough forms a ball. Roll slightly and divide in two equal balls.
- Roll the ball, fold in three parts (like you would do with a letter) and afterwards fold into three more. Wrap it in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for an hour.
- Grease the pie pan with some butter and sprinkle with flour.
- When the hour has past, roll the dough again, reaching a diameter 5 cm larger than your pie pan. Line the pan with the dough and prick with a fork. Refrigerate again while you prepare the filling.
- Repeat the process with the other ball of dough if we intend to cover our pie with it.
- 5-6 medium sized peaches
- 170g brown sugar
- 40g flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven at 220ºC (428ºF).
- Peel and slice the peaches.
- Mix sugar, flour and spices until well blended and pour over the sliced peaches, stirring until all of them are well covered with the mix.
- Pour on the dough lined pan and cover with the other dough previously rolled, either with strips of dough or another decoration.
- Paint the visible dough with egg wash (whip together water and egg).
- Bake for 10 minutes at 220ºC and lower the temperature to 175º (347ºF) to bake for 1 hour approximately or until the pie crust is golden.
- Let the pie cool down completely before serving.
I would recommend you to really wait for it to cool down. Otherwise, when you try to slice it, it will crumble completely. It will be difficult, believe me, I know. You can serve it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream!
I hope you liked it! Here's the
with the recipe.