Here I am, with another recipe for the "Summer Pies" series. This time, with completely natural and organic raspberries from my cousin's orchard!
He has an amazing orchard in Esterri d'Àneu, a small village in the north-west of Catalunya. And he gave me permission to go there and take as many raspberries as I wanted! I got a few scratches on my arms but it was totally worth it. The berries were sweet with the right amount of tartness, warmed by the sun, some of them so ripe that would automatically fall between your fingers.
So I ended up coming back home with a basket full of fresh raspberries and the fingers stained by their juices. Thinking that I really did not have much of a choice but to bake something great with them.
And I did! The pie crust (from scratch) is, again, from
Raspberry Mini Pies
Pie crust ingredients
for eigh 9cm pie pans
- 300g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 60mL olive oil
- 120g butter (cold)
- 80ml water (very cold)
- 1 egg (for the egg wash)
- 2 Tbs water (for the egg wash)
Pie crust directions
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Add olive oil slowly while stirring (manually).
- Slice the cold butter, add it to the mix and blend. Bear in mind that there need to be small portions of butter in the dough.
- Add water little by little, stirring until the dough forms a ball. Roll slightly and divide in two equal balls.
- Roll the ball, fold in three parts (like you would do with a letter) and afterwards fold into three more. Wrap it in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for an hour.
- Grease the pie pan with some butter and sprinkle with flour.
- When the hour has past, roll the dough again, reaching a diameter 2 cm larger than your pie pan. Line the pan with the dough and prick with a fork. Refrigerate again while you prepare the filling.
- Repeat the process with the other ball of dough if we intend to cover our pie with it.
- 600g raspberries
- 250g sugar
- 60g flour
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven at 190ºC (375ºF).
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients.
- Pour two tablespoons of the filling into every pan, previously lined with the dough.
- Cover it whit a circle of dough (make holes in it) or stripes.
- Whisk up the egg and water and paint all the visible dough with it.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the pie crust is golden.
They were soooo good, and cute!
Here you have the
with the recipe!