Today's recipe is three layer chocolate cake, with homemade blackberry jam and cream cheese frosting.
Although it demands a little bit of time, the recipe is not that hard, actually, and the results are really pretty.
Blackberries and chocolate are always a good combination, right?
And here comes the recipe!
Chocolate and Blackberry Cake
yields a 20cm diameter cake
- 170g butter (room temperature)
- 140g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 140g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbs powder cocoa
- Blackberry jam
- 100g fresh blackberries
- 112g cream cheese
- 50g white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 240mL thick cream
Directions for the frosting:
- Whip up cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the cream and whip it until it forms peaks.
- Put in a pastry bag and decorate the cake.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180ºC (356ºF).
- Prepare the cake pan greasing it with butter and sprinkling it with flour.
- Whisk up butter and sugar until it forms a white cream. Add the eggs, one by one, while beating.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa and baking powder until well blended. Add them to the batter little by little until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 40 minutes. Make sure that the cake is well done by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake; if it comes out clean, you can take it out of the oven.
- Let the cake sit for 10 minutes on the baking tray before transferring it onto a rack. Unmold when the cake has completely cooled down.
- Wrap the cake with plastic wrap, tightly, and store in the cooler for half an hour. This will help you when cutting it.
- Divide the cake horizontally in three equal layers.
- Trace a circle with the frosting, outlining the perimeter of the cake, leaving half a centimeter on the outside. Fill the center with blackberry jam. Repeat with another layer and top it with the final layer of the cake. Cover all the cake with frosting.
- Decorate with fresh blackberries.
with the recipe!