One of my favorite things about Autumn is apples. There is a big apple tree in my parents orchard and it has my favorite apples in the world. They are crisp, big and slightly tart and I love them. Every year my dad brings me a crate full of apples from the orchard. And every year I make a caramelized apple tart.
I decided to do tartlets instead this year. They are great as a dessert but, actually, eat them whenever you feel like. Really, no need for excuses, they are that good. And it will be difficult to eat just one.
Put some more
when you serve them, let it drip onto the plate.
Caramelized Apple Tartlets
for eight 9cm diameter tartlets
- 150g flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 30ml vegetal oil (sunflower or mild olive oil)
- 60g butter (cold)
- 40ml water (very cold)
- 1,2kg apples
- 70g butter (approximately)
- 100g sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions for the crust
- Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl. Add oil and mix with a whisk. Add the butter (sliced) and keep stirring. Add water spoonful by spoonful and knead until it creates a ball of dough that doesn't stick on your fingers.
- Knead the dough to form a circle and fold it in three parts (as you would fold a letter), fold again in the middle and wrap it in plastic wrap. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, roll out the dough with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Cut out circles and line the tartlet pans (previously greased). With a fork, make holes on the dough so it doesn't inflate when baking.
- Bake the crusts for 15 minutes at 190ºC (375ºF).
Directions for the filling
- Peel and slice four apples (the slices must be quite thin). Put the sliced apples in a pot with the sugar and cinnamon. Stir well and cook at medium heat for 20 minutes, until the apples are tender.
- Peel and cut the rest of the apples. This time the slices need to be thicker (the thicker part should be 1,5cm approximately). Melt the butter in a pan and saute the apples until they start to caramelize and get golden at the borders.
- To assemble the tarts: put a layer of the apples cooked with sugar and cinnamon. Afterwards, put the caramelized apple slices like the photo shows.
- Bake again for 30 minutes at 190ºC (375ºF).
- Pour toffee on them.