Today's recipe will show you how to easily fill the doughnut holes with delicious Nutella. On top of that, the icing of the doughnuts is also special: it's a hazelnut glaze!
You do not need more than a bottle (I used the same one I use to put the icing in the cookies), some Nutella and milk and you're all set.
Nutella Doughnut Holes
doughnut recipe from
yields 20 doughnuts + doughnut holes
- 10g fresh yeast
- 360ml milk
- 70g butter (melted)
- 830g flour
- 115g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ litre mild olive oil
- A kitchen thermometre
- A medium sized pot
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in the milk. Add the melted butter.
- In a big bowl, mix flour and sugar.
- In another bowl, mix eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Stir the three mixes together starting by pouring the milk into the flour and finishing with the egg mixture. Knead the dough until it gets very elastic (it took 15 minutes approximately for me, since I was doing it by hand. It will take less if you have a machine).
- Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 1 hour and a half and put it in the fridge for three more hours.
- Sprinkle your work surface and the rolling pin with flour.
- Roll the dough with the rolling pin until you reach a thickness of 1 cm. Cut the dough into the desired form and put the resulting doughnuts on a parchment paper.
- Sprinkle them lightly with flour and cover them again with plastic wrap for 1 hour.
- Put the olive oil in the pot and heat it until it reaches 180ºC (356ºF) . Put the doughnuts in the oil, frying them for 2 minutes each side.
- Once you take them out of the oil, put them on a piece of paper towel in order to eliminate the excess of oil.
Ingredients Hazelnut icing
- 200g confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp pure hazelnut paste
- 3-4 Tbs hot water
- Mix the three ingredients in a bowl.
- Dip the doughnuts (while they are still hot) in the icing, both sides.
- Place them on a rack in order to eliminate the excess of icing.
- Mix the two ingredients in a bottle, heating it in the microwave for 1 minute. Fill the doughnut holes as shown in the picture.