Today's recipe is perfect for a fancy breakfast. In a sunlit, warm and quiet table, with a hot cup of tea. Freshly baked Raspberry Scones with a layer of homemade Lemon Curd. Does it sound appealing to you?
Wouldn't you want some right now?
Maybe you think that it's too much work, to bake the scones first thing in the morning. It could be, if you are one of those people who need their dose of coffee before becoming functional in the morning. Good news is that you can prepare them the night before and have them ready for the oven just when you wake up. Just give 15 minutes and let their aroma envelop you...
It's definitely worth the wait!
You could leave it here. Just do the scones, eat them with butter, or any other jam. But there's something about the rasberry-lemon combination that it always works out, doesn't it?
You can make the lemon curd in advance. And use it in other recipes. And it's homemade, and so easy to do!
- 100g frozen raspberries
- 400g flour
- 20g baking powder
- 90g sugar
- 55g butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 15cl milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Chop the raspberries and set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder. Add sugar and butter and mix with your fingers until the mixture has a crumble texture.
- Add egg and milk and stir with a spatula. Add the raspberries and stir until well incorporated.
- Roll the dough on top of a flour sprinkled surface (or a piece of parchment paper) and form a rectangle. Put the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven at 210ºC (410ºF).
- Flatten the dough until you have 2cm of thickness.
- With a sharp knife, cut 4x4cm squares. Place them on the baking tray and paint them with the egg yolk.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Scones should be golden both on the surface and the bottom but the insides should be more tender.
- 60mL lemon juice
- 2 Tbs lemon zest
- 65g sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Tbs butter
- Combine all ingredients in a double boiler. Stir constantly with a whisk until it starts to thicken.
- Dip a teaspoon in the cream: there should be a layer of it on the back of the spoon when you take it out. Remove from heat.
- Refrigerate in a covered bowl until has completely cooled down.