Today's recipe is part of my "In Season Inspiration" series. For those who do not remember, this comes from a story that I love; a story that takes place in a farmers market and how the tentative steps between a baker and a farmer evolve into a beautiful love story. The first post of the series was devoted to rhubarb and I made a Rhubarb and Cream Cheese Danish. In May, though, it's time for strawberries.
I know, I know. Me doing yet another strawberry recipe is nothing new. But I promise that you will fall in love with how easy and simple this recipe is.
It's the flavor combination, though, what will convince you that this is a great dessert. You will taste the tartness of the strawberry, which will be immediately contrasted by the sweetness of the crumble. The slight note of ginger in the filling and the aromatic presence of the cinnamon in the topping will give it a spiced taste that, I promise, you will love.
You should wait for it to cool down completely to eat it. Or you can just dive in when it's not hot enough to burn your tongue. Either way, it's a lovely dessert. However, I recommend you to wait. Even better, put it in the fridge for a few hours and eat it completely cold! Now that summer is starting to show its colors here, this refreshing and sweet dessert it's perfect for it!
Spiced Strawberry Crumble
2 11x11cm molds
- 450g chopped strawberries
- 100g sugar
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- ½ tsp ginger
For the crumble:
- 120g flour
- 90g brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g butter, softened
- Pre-heat the oven at 190ºC (375ºF).
- In a medium bowl, mix all the filling ingredients; strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Pour the mixture between the two molds.
- In another bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and stir well. Add the softened butter in big cubes and mix with a fork or your fingers until achieving a crumble like texture.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the two molds and bake for 40 minutes approximately, the crumble must be slightly golden.
- Let it cool down before eating.
So that's it! I told you it was easy, right? Here's the free printable for the recipe that you can download if you want: