Today's recipe is one of the first things I ever learned to do in a kitchen. I must have been around 11 years old, spending my summer at the Mediterranean coast with my parents, uncles and cousin. It was my cousin Núria, actually, who taught us how to do crepes.
I remember being very excited about it, too. I was completely blown away when she just flipped the crepe in the air, with a skilled flick of her wrist. We would melt some chocolate and everyone would fill their own, topping them with some whipped cream or simply with some jam.
Doing crepes at home is easier than you may think. You can even do them without a specific pan, it is enough if it is a nonstick pan. The ingredients are so simple that you probably have them in your kitchen right now.
This crepes are filled with delicious greek yogurt and some homemade rhubarb and strawberry jam. It will be a very fresh and healthy dessert (or breakfast, or mid-afternoon snack!). Both recipes are under the following cut so, keep reading!
Basic Crepe Recipe
yields 12 crepes approximately
- 240ml milk
- 240ml water
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 180g flour
- 4 Tbs mild olive oil
- In a bowl, mix milk, water and eggs stirring until well blended.
- Add flour and oil and beat until there are no lumps visible (you can use the blender).
- Let the dough sit for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Put the crepe pan at medium heat and melt a little bit of butter on it in order to grease it lightly. When the pan is well heated, pour a ladle of crepe dough in the center, tilting the pan so the dough expands uniformly.
- Wait a few seconds for the dough to cook and start separating the borders of the crepe from the pan, gently, with a wooden flat spoon. Flip the crepe with the wooden spoon.
- Let the dough cook for a few more seconds and slide it off the pan into a plate.
- Repeat until you have used all the dough.
Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam
- 250g rhubarb
- 250g strawberries
- 300g sugar
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- Cube the rhubarb and the strawberries and put them in a medium bowl with the sugar and lemon juice. Let it macerate for a night, covered with a parchment paper.
- Separate the liquid from the fruit and heat it in a pot, at medium heat, until it boils.
- Add the rhubarb and strawberries until it boils again, lower the heat and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Put the jam in jars.
Assemble the crepes:
You will need 2 Tbs of greek yogurt and 2 tsp of rhubarb strawberry jam for each crepe.
Chocolate and Coconut Crepe:
If you assemble them when the crepe is still on the pan, the chocolate chips will melt!