Today's recipe is great for breakfast. Apart from being really good -chocolate-melting-in-your-mouth good- is very energetic and healthy! What else could you ask for?
This recipe is an adaptation from The Hummingbird Bakery's Banana Bread. I have made some changes -mild olive oil instead of butter, delicious dark chocolate chunks- and I am very happy with the results.
It is spongy and soft; trust me, you won't be able to eat only one slice! It also keeps really well, it can last a week or so, if you have enough willpower to resist it!
Healthy Banana Bread with Chocolate Chunks
(two 20x10 cm cake pans)
- 270g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 280g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 120g mild olive oil
- 125g dark chocolate, in chunks
- Pre-heat the oven at 170ºC (338ºF).
- Prepare the cake pans by spreading a little bit of butter inside the pan and sprinkle it with flour. To get rid of the excess, bang the pan against the table. You can also line them with parchment paper.
- Peel the bananas and squash them with a fork.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in a big bowl, with an electrical beater and add the bananas without stopping beating.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and powder and cinnamon) and mix. Add the olive oil and mix until well blended.
- Add the chocolate chunks and stir until well distributed
- Pour the dough in the pans.
- Bake approximately for 45 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Let the cake cool in a metal rack before unmolding.
I hope you liked it! Here's the pdf with the recipe in a free download: