After an eternity of not posting anything, I'm back again! This time I come with these Homemade vanilla and caramelized Macadamia nuts "Magnums", a sweet treat that you can have as a dessert or a snack. Plus, with them being made at home, you know exactly what they are made of, and they are way healthier!
These are delicious. Ok, I admit it, these are not made quickly. You have to caramelize the nuts, wait for them to cool down, make the ice cream, wait for it to freeze... It's not something for the impatient ones, but you will see how it's worth it in every bite.
You will also have to buy (if you don't own them already) silicone molds for this kind of ice cream. They are not very expensive (I got mine for less than 15€, plus the wooden sticks) and I have already used them enough to feel like it was worth it to buy them!
Homemade vanilla and caramelized Macadamia Nuts "Magnums"
Caramelized Macadamia nuts
- 150g macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g sugar
- 60ml water
- 120ml corn syrup
- 25g butter
- Pre heat the oven at 180ºC.
- Chop the nuts and spread on an oven tray, covered with baking paper. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix 1/2 tsp of water, baking soda and vanilla extract.
- In a pot, heat up water, sugar and corn syrup up until it reaches a golden tone.
- Set aside and add the baking soda mixture. Add the butter and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour the caramel mixture on the toasted macadamia nuts, and spread evenly on the baking paper. Wait until it has cooled down and break into pieces.
Vanilla ice cream + chocolate coating
- 110g milk
- 90g de cream (liquid)
- 1 Bourbon vanilla bean
- 4 egg yolks
- 60g sugar
- 8g instagel
- 250g partially whipped cream
- 100g cocoa butter
- 300g dark couverture chocolate
- Cut open the vanilla bean and scrape off the seeds.
- In a medium sized pot, mix the milk with the cream and the vanilla seeds. Heat up until tit boils and set aside.
- Add the egg yolks and sugar and stir until well incorporated.
- Heat the mixture up while stirring, until it reaches 85ºC(185ºF). Remove from heat and emulsify with a hand blender until smooth..
- Add instagel and blend again. Let it cool down.
- Control the temperature with the thermometer and when it reaches 33-34ºC(91-93ºF), add the partially whipped cream and stir gently. Pour into the molds with a tablespoon of caramelized nuts.
- Freeze for a day.
- Chocolate coating: melt the cocoa butter at medium heat. Pour over the chopped chocolate in a hand blender beaker and let it sit for a minute. Blend with the hand blender until smooth.
- Coat the ice-cream by dipping them into the coating, take them out slowly and let them dry off for a few seconds.
That's all! Stay tuned for more delicious homemade ice creams, you won't regret it!