I don't know about you, but we are starting to feel the temperature changes over here. However, I am still posting my absolutely favorite ice creams from this summer! Today's ice cream is a marvelous vanilla ice cream bar -with real Bourbon vanilla bean!- with homemade salted caramel, coated with a dainty coating of milk chocolate and crocanti. Mouthwatering, I know!
I know that from that definition they may sound like a bit much, but I can assure you they aren't as difficult as they sound. You can find the recipe for homemade salted caramel in my very first macaron recipe -and to date, still my favorite- here: Praline and Salted Caramel French Macarons.
These are the perfect size for you to have a delicious treat after dinner. The salted caramel melts in your mouth and the amazingly thin coat of milk chocolate gives this ice cream bar an extra touch of sweetness.
Vanilla and caramel ice cream bars
- 110g milk
- 90g de cream (liquid)
- 1 Bourbon vanilla bean
- 4 egg yolks
- 60g sugar
- 8g instagel
- 250g partially whipped cream
- 4 Tbs caramel
Chocolate crocanti coating:
- 100g cocoa butter
- 300g milk chocolate, chopped
- 100g crocanti
- Cut open the vanilla bean and scrape off the seeds.
- In a medium sized pot, mix the milk with the cream and the vanilla seeds. Heat up until tit boils and set aside.
- Add the egg yolks and sugar and stir until well incorporated.
- Heat the mixture up while stirring, until it reaches 85ºC(185ºF). Remove from heat and emulsify with a hand blender until smooth..
- Add instagel and blend again. Let it cool down.
- Control the temperature with the thermometer and when it reaches 33-34ºC(91-93ºF), add the partially whipped cream and stir gently. Pour into the silicone molds with a teaspoon of caramel. Freeze for 24h.
- Chocolate coating: melt the cocoa butter in a pot and pour over the chopped milk chocolate. Stir well and add the crocanti. Coat the ice cream bars by immersing them into the coating and let them dry for a few seconds.
So that's it! Hope you enjoy them!