After a couple months of radio silence, I'm back! And I come back with this beautiful naked cake. Four layers of vanilla cake with a sweet mascarpone frosting and the juicy acidic taste of the fresh raspberries.
It may look complicated, but it's not. And I can assure you that it doesn't require rare kitchen gadgets nor difficult to find ingredients.
This mascarpone frosting is soft and fluffy. The contrast with the fresh raspberries is perfect, and by pouring the raspberry coulis into the layers of vanilla cake, you will maximize the flavors of the cake.
Raspberry Mascarpone Naked Cake
Ingredients vanilla cake:
- 280g butter (softened)
- 230g granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 230g flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 1/4 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC (356ºF).
- Prepare two 20 cm diameter cake pans by greasing them
- Beat the sugar and butter up until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one while beating.
- Mix flour and baking powder and add the mix to the butter.
- Add milk and vanilla and mix well up until smooth.
- Pour the mix into the pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes up until golden and when testing it with a toothpick, it comes clean.
- Unmold the cakes 15 minutes after taking them out of the oven.
Ingredients raspberry coulis:
- 150g raspberries (frozen)
- 60ml water
- 80g sugar
- 1/2 orange (only the pulp)
- Defrost raspberries.
- Mix all ingredients into a pot and heat up until it boils.
- Lower the heat and cook for 8 minutes.
- Retire from heat and let it cool down.
- Once cold, triturate and sieve.
Ingredients mascarpone frosting:
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 125g granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 500 ml cream
Directions mascarpone frosting:
- Beat the mascarpone along with sugar and vanilla up until smooth.
- Add the cream and beat until peaks are formed.
Naked cake assembling:
Cut the cake bases horizontally.
Pour some raspberry coulis onto the cake bases.
Starting with a vanilla cake layer, begin assembling the cake. Put some mascarpone frosting and add three or four raspberries randomly. Repeat this process as many times as layers the cake will have.
Top the cake with raspberries and add the spare ones between the layers. With a spatula, take the extra cream of the sides of the cake, making it even and showing the vanilla cake layers.
I hope you liked it!